Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Psalms 23 - KJV

Psalms 23... the psalm that I'm betting most every person in America has heard, even the atheists.  This is the one they say at funerals on TV shows and in the movies.  Now I want to revisit this psalm with you and look at some of the ramifications of it.

Psalms 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
By definition want means to lack something.  If we look at the role of a shepherd with sheep, the shepherd is the caretaker of the sheep.  He looks after them, feeds, them, protects them, and helps them when they're in need.  Here we see God is our shepherd, and he will make it so that we shall not be left wanting for those things we need.

Psalms 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 
Like a shepherd who makes his sheep lie down in green pastures (where there will be food), and who leads his sheep to good water, the Lord will do these things for us.
Psalms 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
When God created us, we were a three part being (soul, flesh, and spirit), just as He was (we were made in His image), and when Adam sinned, he and all his descendants became two part beings, being born spiritually dead.  Because of Adam's sin we are born separated from God.  God restores our souls however, and leads us back to him for his glory.  That is why he sent Jesus to die for our sins, so that we could be restored and made whole once more, no longer separated from our Lord.

Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
When our souls are restored and we are in God and He in us, we have nothing to fear, not only because he is with us, but because we know where we're going in the end... to be with God.  A shepherd carries a staff or rod as he leads his flock of sheep.  Here we see God's rod and staff comforting us.  For me it is a comfort because I know it is God who is leading me, and who is not leaving my side.

Psalms 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Even when things look bleak, when we are surrounded by enemies, God is still going to take care of us.  He blesses us so that our 'cup runneth over.'  We may not be rich with money, we may not have a three story mansion or a million dollar a year job, but we are still blessed and our cup runneth over from those blessings.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Here we see eternal salvation represented in that 'I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.'  Not just for a little while, but forever.  God is a good, merciful, and gracious Lord, and when we are in Him and He in us, that mercy and goodness follow us for the rest of our lives.

I really wanted to visit this Psalm because not only is it uplifting, but I think that many people hear it and never think about what it's really saying to us.  God is our Shepherd... he's our caretaker and comforter, and he's going to restore us, protect us, take care of us and our needs, lead us, and comfort us... sounds like a parent doesn't it?  Amazing.  I love knowing God will be there for me at all times, good or bad, in my high moments and in my low ones.  And I take comfort in knowing that the Lord is my shepherd.

If you want to read more about salvation (going to Heaven) please read HERE.

Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. HI.. nice blog. Indeed, GOd is our shepherd. And He promised not to leave us nor forsake us. Thank you for sharing this through your blog... I pray many people will be interested and patient in reading Christian blog such as yours and mine so that they'll come to know the Truth and all the promises of God, that there is hope which is Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful psalm that, like you mentioned, is oft quoted, but rarely meditated on. Thank you for taking the time to explore the everyday application of the familiar words.
    ~Kristi Burchfiel, author of Without Regrets

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very encouraging post. Evangelist Steve DeLong has a sermon on this that I like, but I have gleaned additional encouragement with this post as well.

    Thank you for writing on this en encouraging us to think about and meditate on this powerful passage.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thank you for leaving a comment.

Comments are moderated. We will not publish comments with:
Spam, profanity, off topic comments, hate mail, links to your website that were not asked for.

Thank you very much and blessings!

Welcome

Welcome to Christian Bible Study Blog. Feel free to browse our Bible studies, articles, study tools, support store, and more. We want to provide you with valuable resources.

Check back often for new articles and studies!